Berlin: Max Liebermann Villa
The Liebermann Villa is the former summer residence of the impressionist painter Max Liebermann (1847–1935). It is situated at Lake Wannsee and has served as a museum since 2006.
Liebermann was a leading figure in the avant-garde artist group of Berlin Secession promoting impressionism in Wilhelmine Germany. From 1920 through 1932 he was president of the Prussian Academy of Arts. In 1907, he purchased a piece of land at Lake Wannsee. The villa with the adjacent garden area – which Liebermann often referred to as his “Castle at the Lake” – became the site of an immensely productive period in his artistic career.
Under National Socialist dictatorship and after Liebermann’s death, most of his paintings were sold for less than they were worth. The main exhibition of today’s museum displays a part of his oeuvre in the former atelier rooms. The whole arrangement recreates the atmosphere of rest and inspiration under which Liebermann worked at Lake Wannsee.