Munich: Jewish Museum
Although talks about a Jewish museum in the Bavarian capital arose as early as 1928, today’s institution was not established until 2007. The plans for a Jewish Center at St.-Jakobs-Platz by the local Jewish community inspired the city of Munich to finance the construction of a new museum to be embedded in the center. Objects of the current collection had already been displayed in the 1980s as part of a private museum by gallery owner Richard Grimm. The collection was later taken over by the Jewish community as part of a temporary museum until the Jewish Museum opened its doors.
The Jewish Center today encompasses three institutions: the Ohel Jacob Synagogue, the Jewish community center and the Jewish Museum of Munich. All three buildings were planned by the architects Rena Wandel-Hoefer and Wolfgang Lorch, who had previously designed the synagogue in Dresden. The simplistic and open layout of the museum building is in line with the selective but expressive exhibition, emphasizing the richness of Jewish history.
Although the museum focuses on Munich’s local Jewish history and religious rites, two of the three floors house changing exhibitions. Additionally, a learning center with a Jewish library, a bookstore and a café are permanent parts of the institution.