The Max-Samuel-Haus in Rockstock hosts cultural events revolving around Jewish life and history. As the home of the Stiftung Begegnungsstätte für jüdische Geschichte und Kultur in Rostock, the building offers events all of kind - ranging from concerts to lectures - and includes exhibitions and a library.
The mansion was first commissioned and built in 1912 by Hans Winterstein, a local university professor and psychologist of Jewish ancestry. Nine years later, Jewish manufacturer Max Samuel bought the house, which was damaged early in WWII. After Samuel’s factory was confiscated by the Nazis, he and his family fled to England, where he continued to support persecuted Jews like he had already done in Rostock as the president of its Jewish community. It was not until 1991 that his son, Herbert Manuel, restored the building and donated it to the foundation that currently manages it.
Despite its mission to fight anti-Semitism by promoting Jewish history and culture, the institution has a strong focus on youth work and the remembrance of local Jews’ contribution to society.