Tourist visit to Germany
Entry clearance requirements are dependent on the citizenship of the applicant. Citizens of many countries do not need a visa to visit Germany for stays up to 90 days. Please check our country list if you are not sure whether you need a visa.
Visa Country List
Where and how to apply?
German consular services are available through its Embassy in Washington and Consulates in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York and San Francisco.
Except for rare instances, you have to submit your application in person. Click below to find out where to submit your application and to learn about any specific application procedures. Due to local particularities handling and processing may vary slightly among the German missions involved.
- fully completed application form (only German and English versions accepted) and required declaration
- two passport photographs (strict requirements, see details)
- valid national passport and one copy thereof (Please note these important regulations concerning your travel document/passport:
(a) its validity has to extend the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
(b) it has to contain at least two blank pages;
(c) it must have been issued within the previous 10 years. If it has been issued before that, your passport can not be accepted. That even applies in cases where the validity has been extended by the authorities of your home country.
- original of valid US alien registration card or valid US resident visa (type A, E, F plus endorsed I-20, G, H, I, J plus J1 documents, L, O, R) and one copy
- your current bank statements from the previous three months and one copy
- Confimation letter from your health insurance stating coverage for emergency medical, hospitalisation and repatriation with a minimum of 30,000 Euros ( equiv. 50,000US-$ ) for trips outside the US and one copy
- reference letter from your employer
- proof of group travel/hotel reservation/airline reservation and one copy
- your driver's license and/or utility bill in your name as proof of residence in the consular district where you plan to apply
- visa fees
Please note: In individual cases, you may be required to provide additional documents.
Please Note: Although the information on this website has been prepared with utmost care, we can not accept any responsibility for inaccuracies contained herein.