Passport for an Adult
The German passport for applicants under the age of 24 will be valid for six years; otherwise, it will be valid for 10 years.
Passport applications must personally be filed at the foreign mission responsible for your consular district during visiting hours. Effective as of November 1, 2007, it is no longer possible to apply for a passport by mail. When applying, your fingerprints will be taken. Please keep in mind that, for reasons of data privacy, your fingerprints may be stored at the embassy only for a short interim and then promptly deleted after completion of the application process. If your name has changed since you last applied for a passport, it might be necessary to provide a declaration of your legal name. Information about declaration of a legal name appears below on this page.
You will need the following documents to apply for a passport for an adult (Originals):
- Completed application form
- Two identical, biometrically compatible, recent passport photos (Please do not cut the photos yourself!)
- Your birth certificate with information about the exact place of birth (If a U.S. birth certificate is submitted, the county is not sufficient information), and one copy thereof
- If married, divorced, or widowed, marriage certificate, divorce decree, or death certificate of your spouse, and one copy thereof
- Your current German passport, and one copy thereof (only page with data and photo)
- Confirmation of deregistration ("Abmeldebescheinigung") from the German place of residence if it is entered in the current passport as the place of residence, and one copy thereof
- Valid U.S. residency permit (U.S. resident alien card, U.S. residency visa, or U.S. passport), and one copy thereof
- Your U.S. driver’s license or a utility bill in your name as proof of legal address, and one copy thereof
- Your German doctorate certificate if you would like to have your German doctorate degree entered in your passport, and one copy thereof
- If applicable, German naturalization document , and one copy thereof
- If dual citizen, US Naturalization Certificate with "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung”
- Passport fee
Please Note: Although the information on this website has been prepared with utmost care, we can not accept any responsibility for inaccuracies contained herein.