Birth Certificate from Germany - Birth in Germany in a US Military Hospital


Please note that this information is provided for applicants who were born in Germany and whose birth has already been registered at a German registrar's office ("Standesamt").

How to obtain a birth certificate from Germany

In order to receive a birth certificate from the Federal Republic of Germany you have to get in touch directly with the competent German agency (i.e. "Standesamt" - Registrar's Office). Your letter should be addressed to the "Standesamt" of the place (Village, Township, City) where you were born.

The German phrase for asking for an international birth certificate is:

"Ich bitte um Ausstellung einer internationalen Geburtsurkunde für ... (first name/middle name/last name), geboren am ... (date of birth) in ... (place of birth). Eltern: ... (name of father) und ... (maiden name of mother)."

Please do not indicate the month of your date of birth with a number but in letters since it might otherwise lead to a mix-up (e.g. the date 10/12/56 in Germany means December 10, 1956). Information on the fee will be sent to you with the certificate.

Please do not forget to mention your name and address.

If you are a US-citizen or if you were born in a US military hospital and need a Replacement Report of Birth Abroad, you should contact the US Department of State for further assistance. For more information please follow the link below:

Consular Information of the US Embassy in Germany

Birth Certificate


Consulate Finder

German Missions in the United States

Nine German Missions throughout the US offer consular services. Each Mission covers a specific geographic region. To find out which Mission can assist you, please use our Consulate Finder.