Fashion Week Transforms Berlin Into Giant Catwalk
The next Berlin Fashion Week - which attracts fashion enthusiasts, designers and buyers from all over the world - takes place from July 3 to 8 in the German capital.
Enlarge image Elna-Margret zu Bentheim, CEO of the fashion label Unrath & Strano, at the label's flagship store in Markgrafenstrasse, Berlin on June 5. Experimental, three-dimensional cuts are the trademark of the label, whose designers create feminine fashion for confident women through special drapings and stitching lines. The label will present its collection at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin on July 5, 2012. (© picture-alliance/ZB)
Twice a year, during Fashion Week events held in both January and in July, Berlin becomes an international location for fashion and lifestyle topics, which this creative metropolis that attracts artists, musicians and designers from all over the world has increasingly shaped since the Fall of the Berlin Wall more than 20 years ago.
During Fashion Week, industry insiders, style enthusiasts and the media interact in myriad venues from gritty to glamorous: They attend shows and awards' ceremonies, exchange ideas at fashion trade fairs and attend exhibitions and off-site events.
Berlin Partner GmbH and the city's Senate Department for Economics, Technology and Research support Fashion Week to showcase Berlin as an emerging fashion metropolis and business location.
The July 2012 Fashion Week will present designers' Spring/Summer 2013 collections.
Highlights at the next Berlin Fashion Week include:
- Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Berlin shows on "Straße des 17. Juni" at the Siegessäule monument.
- BREAD & BUTTER, the leading international trade fair for street and urban wear, from July 4-6 2012 at the former Tempelhof Airport, a site with a rich tradition.
- PREMIUM the fashion show; BRIGHT the street wear trade fair; the New York Trade Show (capsule); the orderplatform for high fashion SHOW & ORDER, as well as THE GALLERY BERLIN round out the week.
- Berlin will show itself from its 'green-fashion' side this season, too, by introducing the newest trends and discussing current questions surrounding ecological design. Among this week's eco-shows are: Lavera Showfloor Berlin, GREENshowroom and the Ethical Fashion Show.
- The Showroom Days take place in various locations, largely as public events, for everyone interested in fashion.