Nomination Deadline Extended to June 30th for 2012 German Embassy Teacher of Excellence Award
Outstanding Performance Deserves Recognition!
Enlarge image (© picture-alliance / Image Source ) This award recognizes up-and-coming German teachers, who may have received local recognition, but may not have received other accolades. Candidates may have started a new program or revitalized an existing one, should be considered outstanding teachers, and contribute to their local AATG chapter.
First granted in 2008, the award includes attendance at the AATG Annual Meeting in conjunction with ACTFL’s Annual Convention and World Languages Expo in Philadelphia from November 16-18, 2012 (registration, travel and lodging), and participation in a Goethe-Institut professional development course in Germany in summer 2013 (course fees, airfare, and room and board).
The American Association of Teachers of German will accept nomination suggestions from its regional chapters and additionally from schools identified by the Goethe-Instituts, the representatives of the German Agency for Schools Abroad, and the Consulates General in the US until June 30, 2012.
Selection criteria include evidence of:
- 1. Learner-centric teaching – use of student-oriented, open forms of instruction
- 2. Interaction in the context of teaching and learning – communicative instruction which is targeted at language production
- 3. Use of new media – audiovisual and electronic media to promote communication skills
- 4. Intercultural relationship to educational content – e.g. through exchange support or virtual contacts with students in Germany
- 5. Focus on language competency when measuring performance – promotion of modern test procedures – e.g. use of DSD and/or GI tests in addition to U.S. examinations
For further information about the award and the nominating process, please visit: www.aatg.org/embassy-award