The German Embassy in Washington is seeking to fill a local employee Position (initially limited to one year, with the possibility of renewal) to augment the property mainteance and Service Team, starting immediately.
The position will largely entail the following duties and responsibilities:
- Support the seconded technical maintenance worker, in particular maintenance jobs such as painting, repairs, drywall, mechanical repairs, exchange of lighting fixtures, etc.
- Perform smaller handiwork jobs such as hanging pictures, bulletin boards, etc.
- Setup and teardown (e.g. seating and setup of stage and podium in the auditorium) incl. basic sound and video system work
- Perform trash removal, remove recycling paper and materials
- Clean out and rearrange offices and storage rooms
- Perform miscellaneous transport and support assignments in the various official buildings and dwellings (in particular, the Ambassador’s residence and the official residence of the Deputy Chief of Mission)
- Perform rotational cleaning of various Embassy buildings (chancery, Embassy House, and the Consulate building) incl. carpet cleanings
- Perform snow removal during the winter and participate in technical on-call duty as needed
Qualification and Requirements:
- Documented, multiyear experience in a skilled manual labor occupation
- Communication skills and ability to work in a team
- Organization skills
- Readiness to work overtime during events and for technical on-call duty
- Good physical health
- Ability to work both nights and weekends (overtime compensated)
- Knowledge of how to use desktop computers with Word and Excel
- Good English language skills; German language skills desirable
Contract conditions and compensation are based on the standard employment agreement for non-diplomatic staff at the German foreign missions in the U.S. and on the corresponding pay scale.
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must have a valid work permit. Sponsorship by the Embassy is not possible.
Please send applications along with the customary documents (résumé (in table format), copy of high-school diploma, employment references/recommendations, copy of your passport and Green Card or visa and work permit, if applicable) by August 15, 2018 to:
Mr. Hans Stocker
4645 Reservoir Rd. NW
Washington, D.C., 20007
Tel.: (202) 298 4269