The local project management team of the Federal Office for Building and Regional Planning at the German Embassy in Washington is seeking to fill a full-time local employee position as Project Manager for approximately 22 months, tentatively to start May 1, 2022.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervision of refurbishments according to German and/or local US standards
• Project planning, implementation and management of construction projects
• Examination and evaluation of planning and tender documents with regard to quality, costs, and deadlines
• Management of freelancers in the context of construction execution, handover, and com-missioning, including defect rectification
• Preparation of construction documents, statements, and reports
• Use of construction software for cost control, scheduling, and documentation
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Completed academic university studies in the fields of architecture / civil engineering (struc-tural or civil engineering) or comparable skills and experience according to German or Amer-ican standard.
• Extensive expertise and professional experience (at least 3 years) in the planning and execu-tion of demanding and technically complex construction tasks
• Expert knowledge of the principles of German contract and public procurement law (HOAI, knowledge of public contract and public procurement law as well as building code law e.g. RBBau, VHB) desirable
• Basic expertise in US construction and contract law
• Project management skills
• Negotiating skills in dealing with clients and contractors
• Ability to work together across disciplines in a collegial manner
• A high level of responsibility, interpersonal skills and empathy, as well as a pleasant de-meanor and persuasive communication skills
• Willingness to travel to Germany on business trips
• Very good English language skills, both written and spoken
• Good German language skills desirable
Contract conditions and compensation are based on local law, per the standard employment agree-ment for nondiplomatic staff at the German foreign missions in the U.S., and on the corresponding pay scale. Monthly pay is based on a 40-hour week; overtime is additionally paid.
Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must have a valid work permit. A sponsorship by the Embassy is not possible.
The Federal Foreign Office supports the professional advancement of women and expressly invites qualified women to apply.
Following selection, the successful candidate must demonstrate good health (through a medical examination by the Embassy’s partner physician) prior to hiring. A personal background check and secu-rity clearance will also be carried out. Your readiness to assist in these procedures is assumed.
Please apply in writing and include the customary documents (letter of application, resumé, proof of school-leaving certificate, references/letters of recommendation, copy of passport and, if applicable, Green Card, or visa, together with your work permit) via e-mail (maximal size: 10 MB) by April 22:
Attn.: Mr. Gunter Machens
4645 Reservoir Rd. NW
Washington, D.C. 20007
Please note that the Embassy will consider complete and timely applications only. Neither will confir-mations of receipt be sent, nor will application documents be returned. The Embassy will contact only those candidates who are invited to a personal interview. Interviews are tentatively scheduled to take place at the end of April.
For additional information on the job offering please contact Mr. Machens (tel.: +1-202-843-7255, e-mail: Gunter.Machens@BBR.Bund.de ). For further information about the Embassy, please visit us at: www.germany.info
Information about data privacy rights pursuant to Article 13 of the EU General Data Protection Regulation can be found at: https://www.germany.info/us-en/datenschutz