Applying for a German Passport or ID Card in Los Angeles
German Passport, © picture alliance / dpa
Here you will find the most important information on German passports for German citizens who do not speak German.
Please Read All Information BEFORE Scheduling Your Appointment
- All passport applicants must schedule an appointment through our FREE online system and submit their applications in person. Passport applications received by mail cannot be processed.
- Each applicant needs a separate appointment, even if they are members of the same Family.
- German passports and ID cards are biometric and require fingerprints to be stored in the passport/ID Card.
- Please make sure to complete the application form and to gather all necessary documents (+ 1 set of copies) BEFORE you come to the Consulate. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Before booking any appointment for a passport application, please make sure whether you need to submit a name declaration before hand or not. You can find information about name declarations here.
- Please arrive on time. If you are late, we may not be able to process your application, in which case you may have to get a new appointment.
- Booking an appointment at a specific time (e.g. 10 AM) does not guarantee that you will be able to come to the counter at exactly that time. Delays are possible, and in some cases, unavoidable. Please be patient and allow for some waiting time when you plan your visit.
For a list of required documents and additional information, please visit: Passports and ID Cards
Passport Appointment for Applicants in Southern California
All applicants residing in the California counties of Imperial, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura are required to personally apply for a passport at the Consulate General in Los Angeles. Please use our FREE online appointment system to schedule your passport appointment; a separate appointment is required for each family member.
Schedule appointment: Online Appointment System
Passport Appointment for Applicants in AZ, CO, NV, and UT
Applicants residing in the above states may apply for a passport through the German Honorary Consul responsible for their state. Please note that when applying for a passport through an Honorary Consul, additional fees will apply. Please contact the Honorary Consul directly to make your appointment.
Honorary Consuls - Consulate General Los Angeles
German ID Card
You can now apply for a German ID card separately or at the same time you apply for a German passport or passport renewal. If you would like to apply for a German ID card:
- schedule an appointment through our FREE online System (see above)
- use the passport application form and check the box “Personalausweis”
- submit all documents required for a passport application.
The fee for a German ID is approximately $80.00. For more information, please visit:
Information on German Identity Card
Each application must include two recent identical biometric passport photos (Please do not cut the photos yourself!). Please note that there are specific requirements for passport photos described in the following pdf-file: DD_Sample_Photos
For your convenience, there is a user-friendly photo booth in the Consular Section waiting room. The cost for four (4) photos is $5, payable by credit card only. Please allow extra time before your designated appointment in order to take your pictures. Please note this service is provided by a private company and the Consulate does not assume responsibility for this ervice.