The change of your residence on your passport or identity card can be done in person or via mail. For this purpose, please send/bring:
- your German passport or identity card (original)
- deregistration from Germany (when moving from Germany or when the German place of residence is still stated in the German passport/ID card)
- proof of residence in the US (e.g. "utility bill" or bank statement)
- a self-addressed pre-paid envelope, if mailing is requested
- application for change of residence
Application form PDF / 208 KB
If you come in person, please bring all of the above mentioned documents with you during the opening hours of the German mission responsible for your home state. Please note that some German missions require you to schedule an appointment beforehand. You can find out whether or not you need an appointment on the Website of the German mission that is responsible for your home state: Appointments
If you do not know, which German Mission is responsible for your home state, please find out here: Consulate Finder
The change of residence on the German passport/ID Card is free of charge.
Please bear in mind that while living abroad the foreign address will not be entered into the German identity card. If you are deregistered in Germany, your German address will be changed into: "Keine Hauptwohnung in Deutschland" ("no primary residence in Germany").