Change of Residence on a German Passport or Identity Card

12.06.2020 - Article

The place of residence on your passport or identity card can be changed in person or by mail. The documents you need to provide can be found here:

Packing case
Umzugskartons© picture-alliance / dpa

The change of your residence on your passport or identity card can be done in person or via mail. For this purpose, please send/bring:

  • your German passport or identity card (original)
  • deregistration from Germany (when moving from Germany or when the German place of residence is still stated in the German passport/ID card)
  • proof of residence in the US (e.g. “utility bill” or bank statement)
  • proof of your residence status in the US (e.g. Green Card, visa, residence Permit)
  • a self-addressed pre-paid envelope, if mailing is requested
  • application for change of residence
    application form

The change of residence on the German passport/ID card is free of charge.

If you come in person, please bring all of the above mentioned documents with you during the opening hours of the German mission responsible for your home state.

Please note that some German missions require you to schedule an appointment beforehand. You can find out whether or not you need an appointment on the Website of the German mission that is responsible for your home state: Appointments

Top of page