Renunciation of German Citizenship

Passport© picture alliance

If you live in the United States, possess American (or another) citizenship in addition to German citizenship, and, for certain reasons, wish to renounce your German citizenship, you must file an application through the German Embassy or the responsible Consulate General. To find out which of our missions is responsible for your area, please use our Consulate Finder.
Please include the documents cited in the application in the required form and have your signature certified.
Your application will be forwarded by the German foreign mission to the German Federal Office of Administration in Cologne, Germany. If renunciation is approved, a renunciation certificate will be issued to you. It will be turned over to you by the foreign mission. The renunciation does not enter into force until you accept the certificate.
Please include your phone number and email address on your application form or accompanying letter, in case we need to reach you.

Information and application form

Please Note: Although the information on this website has been prepared with utmost care, we cannot accept any responsibility for inaccuracies contained herein.

Top of page