Certificate of Good Conduct

Jemand zeigt mit dem Finger auf ein erweitertes Führungszeugnis

Führungszeugnis, © Stephan Jansen/dpa


In the Federal Republic of Germany all police records are filed at the Federal Central Registrar, the so-called “Bundeszentralregister” (BZR). A Certificate of Good Conduct (“Führungszeugnis”) can be requested from the Federal Office of Justice (“Bundesamt für Justiz”).

In the Federal Republic of Germany all police records are filed at the Federal Central Registrar, the so-called “Bundeszentralregister” (BZR):

Bundesamt für Justiz

Sachgebiet IV 2

53094 Bonn


Tel.: 011 49 - 228 - 99410- 5668

(Mon - Fri from 9.00 to 11.00 am and Mon - Thu from 1.30 to 3.00 pm)

Fax: 011 49 - 228 - 99410- 5050

Bundesamt für Justiz

In order to apply please download the Application Form.

The applicant's signature on the application and the personal information requested have to be authenticated by any notary public or one of the German missions in the US. The fee for the notarization at a German mission is 20.00 euros. The fee can be paid in cash at the daily exchange rate in US dollars or by credit card in euros (Visa or Mastercard only).

The application form has to be mailed to the Federal Office of Justice (“Bundesamt für Justiz”), a fax application cannot be accepted. Once issued, the Certificate of Good Conduct has to be mailed to you, it cannot be faxed.

Please be informed that the certificate will be sent only to the applicant's home address or to a German authority. If you want your certificate sent to a German authority, please enclose a letter with your application in which you state the name and address of the receiving authority and file number (if applicable) with your application.

The fee for the certificate is 13.00 euros and has to be paid in advance to the Bundesamt für Justiz.

The money can either be transferred to the following bank account at the Deutsche Bundesbank - branch in Cologne,

IBAN-No.: DE49370000000038001005

BIC/Swift-No.: MARKDEF1370

or can be enclosed in the form of an international draft (transferrable!), payable to the BUNDESAMT FÜR JUSTIZ BONN.

Please state your name, birth name, first name and your birth date on the transferring document or the international draft. For further information on international drafts or money transfers, please contact your bank. Please do not send personal checks of US banks.

Related content

Top of page