Certificate of Conduct

26.02.2020 - Article

Do you need a Certificate of Conduct (“Führungszeugnis”) from the Federal Office of Justice (“Bundesamt für Justiz”)?

Jemand zeigt mit dem Finger auf ein erweitertes Führungszeugnis
Führungszeugnis© Stephan Jansen/dpa

In the Federal Republic of Germany, all police records are filed at the Federal Central Criminal Register, the so-called “Bundeszentralregister” (BZR).

If you wish to apply for a certificate of conduct (“Führungszeugnis”), please read the information and download the application form on the website of the Federal Office of Justice (available in English).

Please note that your signature on the application can be notarized by either one of the German Consular Missions in the U.S. or any notary public. The fee for the notarization at the German Consular Missions is 20.00 euros and can be paid in cash at the daily exchange rate in US dollars or by credit card in euros (Visa or Mastercard only).

Which German Consular Mission serves my U.S. home state?

To find out which of the nine German Consular Missions in the U.S. serves your U.S. home state, which is the correct mailing address or whether you need to schedule an appointment to submit the application in person, please use our interactive consulate finder

Top of page