Entry clearance requirements depend on the citizenship of the applicant. Citizens of many countries do not need a visa to visit Germany for stays of up to 90 days. Please check our country list if you are not sure whether you need a visa: country list
Where and How to apply?
German consular services are available through its Embassy in Washington and Consulates in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York and San Francisco.
All German Missions require that you schedule an appointment in order to apply for a visa. Appointments have to be booked via our free online appointment system. Except for rare instances, you have to submit your application in person.
Click below to find out where to submit your application and to learn about any specific application procedures. Due to local particularities handling and processing may vary slightly among the German Missions involved: Consulate Finder
What do I need to fill out and bring?
- Online Schengen Visa Application Form
- alternatively: Paper Schengen Visa Application Form (German-English or German-Spanish)
- Declaration of Accurancy
- Visa Photo Examples
- Visa Fees
- Information on Data Protection
Which documents are required?
- Checklist: Schengen Visa Requirements
- Additional Information on Schengen visa for minors under 18 years