Outstanding educators deserve recognition!
Congratulations to the 2023 German Embassy Teacher of Excellence Award winners!
- Charles Beattie, Dimond High School, Alaska
- Joshua Hurd, Brooklyn Tech High School, New York
- Daniel T. Otto, Jasper High School, Indiana
The prize, especially for German teachers who are still early on in their careers at high schools and in higher education.
The AATG, which administers the award, accepts nominations from its regional chapters as well as the Goethe-Instituts, DAAD, German Agency for Schools Abroad (ZfA), and the German Consulates General and Honorary Consuls in the US. In addition, school administrators and schools where German is offered, as well as colleges and universities, are encouraged to nominate outstanding educators for the Award.
The nomination period usually begins in March. To for the latest information, we recommend you subscribe to AATG's newsletter.
Selection criteria include evidence of:
- 1. Learner-centric teaching – use of student-oriented, open forms of instruction
- 2. Interaction in the context of teaching and learning – communicative instruction which is targeted at language production
- 3. Use of new media – audiovisual and electronic media to promote communication skills
- 4. Intercultural relationship to educational content – e.g. through exchange support or virtual contacts with students in Germany
- 5. Focus on language competency when measuring performance – promotion of modern test procedures – e.g. use of DSD and/or GI tests in addition to U.S. examinations
For further information about the award and to submit a nomination, please visit: German Embassy Teacher of Excellence Award
American Association of Teachers of German
With over 4,000 members, the American Association of Teachers of German is for teachers of German at all levels of instruction and all those interested in the teaching of German. Founded in 1926, AATG believes that bringing the language, literature, and cultures of the German speaking world to all Americans is a vital humanistic endeavor, which serves an essential national interest.